10m Aluminium Moxon Construction

by

M0MRR

moxon up1a.jpg (13530 bytes)

 

I found the plan to build the aluminium Moxon via the Moxon Project web site. As I had very good results with a wire Moxon put together from telescopic fishing poles and wire I thought I would make something a bit sturdier. The aluminium was sourced from Smiths Metals, I used 1/2" & 3/8" tubing - at about 8.00 per 4 meter length it didn't cost too much.

cut pipes2.jpg (22124 bytes)   bend1.jpg (10032 bytes) 

Bending the tubes was a challenge, I eventually borrowed a pipe bender for 15mm copper pipe and used this. It worked satisfactorily and I used a hand held pipe cutter to cut the tubes.

My next door neighbour again proved helpful with a scrap bit of fence feather edging which I shaped to accomodate the aluminium elements. A scrap bit of plastic tubing was used for the boom. And the boom to mast bracket is cut from a plastic breadboard. As you can see I have used a coax RF balun.

connection1.jpg (15864 bytes)   connection2.jpg (11925 bytes)  connection3.jpg (12118 bytes)

reflector base1.jpg (13692 bytes)  reflector base2.jpg (13752 bytes)  reflector base3.jpg (11816 bytes)

I found a plastic garden stake that fitted perfectly in the 3/8" tubing to act as the spacer between the element and reflector.

spacer1.jpg (2406 bytes)  spacer2.jpg (10035 bytes)  boom and mast.jpg (13394 bytes)

The whole assembly is on the top of my 33ft push up aluminium mast and then back to my radio via a 40ft length of RG213 coax.

  moxon up2.jpg (17976 bytes)  moxon up3.jpg (14665 bytes)

 

Mark's homepage can be found here.

 

 

Mark can be reached at mark.m0mrr@ntlworld.com if you have questions about his moxon.

Webmaster: Steve Hammer, K6SGH