N1RIK'S 6 METER MOXON
Editors note: Bill is busy with converting this moxon into a 3 element moxon. We'll post that info as soon as we get it.
My name is Bill, and the callsign is N1RIK. I have and still am very impressed with your website here. I have since built a moxon for 6 meters, and one for 2 meters which I gave away to a local ham for SSB.
I'm enclosing in this email pictures of my 6 meter Moxon. It looks much similar to WA0WOX's 6m moxon.
I decided to build a PVC "U" frame out of 1/2" PVC. I opted out of using an apoxy to hold the pvc together, and used a thin wrap of duct tape to put on the ends of the pvc sections to twist into the pvc elbows and T connectors for a tight fit.
On the driven element, I used 2 sheet rock screws to go through the pvc t connector and pvc arms for extra strength, and to hold washers into place for the connections of the RG-58 coax and the driven element.
3 inches below the connection for driven element on the coax, I installed a Palomar BA-58 1:1 current balun bead set so I wouldn't have to add extra coaxial loss.
From the pvc T connector, I added a 2 ft. section of 1/2" pvc to hose clamp to my fabricated PVC mast. I overlapped 1 ft. of the 2 ft. section, which keeps the Moxon 1 ft. above the PVC mast.
I used zip ties to keep the elements onto the PVC frame, and wrapped coaxial connections to the driven element with silicon self-sealing wrap and Scotch 33 tape.
For element materials, I used Radio Shack #8 gauge aluminum ground wire. Radio Shack has discontinued this project, so I had to buy it on ebay.
My 19 foot PVC mast is made from a 10 ft. section of 2" Sch. 40 and a 10 ft. section of 1-1/2" Sch. 40, which overlap by 1 foot, and is held together with 4 sheet rock screws. I currently have this mast bungy corded to my porch up to 5 feet up, and seems pretty stable. At this height, the antenna is a full wavelength above the ground.
I built this antenna to specs on the software, however once I started playing with it, I noticed my SWR @ 50.2 was 1.6:1. and 1:1 @ 48.2 MHz. I started trimming the antenna with my analyzer and now have it 1.1:1 @ 50.2 MHz. Here's the new dimensions :
visits: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Webmaster: , K6SGH